[swift-users] [swift-evolution] How does "Sequence.joined" work?

Félix Cloutier felixcloutier at icloud.com
Wed Aug 9 01:23:38 CDT 2017

The benefit that standard library containers have over containers from other modules is that they're optimized as if they were part of your own module, so you can get the same thing by including the collection classes in your own executable instead of linking with the module. It's my understanding that the @_transparent attribute could surface to the public side with module format stability.

Either way, the issue of cross-module optimizations is separate from COW mechanics, and it was certainly not my goal to distract anyone from the main topic by including an after-thought reference to an algorithmically impressive package. The important takeaway is that COW semantics don't rely on special features, joined() doesn't have to go out of its way to ensure that new storage isn't allocated, and the one important library feature behind these containers, isKnownUniquelyReferenced, lives in broad daylight.