[swift-users] Simultaneous accesses, but modification requires exclusive access

Hooman Mehr hooman at mac.com
Sun Jul 30 15:27:04 CDT 2017

> On Jul 24, 2017, at 2:38 AM, somu subscribe via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Thank a lot Quinn, your solution to use inout works well without crashing.
>
> Question 1:
> - Also changing Helper to a class doesn’t seem to crash. Is that a solution that wouldn’t cause a crash or just works by chance ?

It is not by chance. It illustrates the key difference between classes and structs: class instances are passed by reference because they have identity. The identity of an object never mutates: If you change `Helper` to a class, then you can also change `helper` property from `var` to `let` and still change the value of `v1` inside `helper`. If this is not clear to you, I recommend you first get a better understanding of differences between value types and reference types and especially learn about object aliasing before deciding which approach is the right approach for you.

> Background:
> Just a little background into what I was trying to achieve (I could be wrong):
>
> - I have a set of classes C1, C2, C3 which has a lot of common code
>
> - I would like to build something that can be reused without exposing the implementation details. (I can subclass but would expose the underlying functions, same applies to protocol as well)
>
> - I thought I would build helper class / struct which would contain the common code. I can make the helper a private property so that the functions wouldn’t be exposed to the instances of C1, C2, C3. In order to achieve that I had to pass some functions from C1 into the Helper struct.
>
> Question 2:
> - Is this problem (hiding implementation details) normally tackled using Helper class (or struct) or is there a more better approach ?

It depends on what you mean by hiding and whether those classes sharing common implementation details also share a common public API (protocol) or ancestry (shared superclass).

Generally, what you call `Helper` is the correct way to go if the following is true:

Your `Helper` makes logical sense as something coherent with its own meaningful properties, so that it can be given a specific name that makes sense (besides a very broad name such as your example `Helper`).