[swift-users] is this a defect in equatable for swift tuples?

David Baraff davidbaraff at gmail.com
Sun Jul 9 11:56:56 CDT 2017

> On Jul 9, 2017, at 8:27 AM, Jens Persson <jens at bitcycle.com> wrote:
>
> (Also, note that your implementation of == uses lhs === rhs thus will only return true when lhs and rhs are the same instance of SomeClass.)
Of course — i threw that in just to make a simple example.

Followup question: what I really wanted to write was an == operator for a tree:

// silly tree, useful for nothing
class Tree : Equatable {
   let rootData:Int
   let children:[(String, Tree)]

   static public func ==(_ lhs:Tree, _ rhs:Tree) {
	return lhs.rootData == rhs.rootData &&
            lhs.children == rhs.children		// sadly, this doesn’t compile

I.e. since now that tuples of (Int, Tree) can be compared, I thought, great, I get an incredibly elegant description: just compare the child arrays.  But this doesn’t compile, and I assume that telling the compiler that (T,Tree) is a tuple that conforms to Equatable is just not happening in this lifetime?

Not that it’s a big deal: I can of course write

  static public func ==(_ lhs:Tree, _ rhs:Tree) {
	return lhs.rootData == rhs.rootData && lhs.children.count == rhs.children.count &&
           all(lhs.children.indices.map { lhs.children[$0] == rhs.children[$0] }
  }

But still: it would be nice to not have to break it down manually.  (all() is a free function doing what you would guess it does.  i gave up resisting the urge and defined both any() and all(), after years of loving them in Python. I know I should just a more swift-like idiom, but dang it, it’s just too short.  I would really love for any() and all() to become standard lib free functions.  they’re so incredibly useful.)