[swift-users] UserDefaults with generic keys

Kim Burgestrand kim at burgestrand.se
Fri Jul 7 08:54:03 CDT 2017

Here's yet another alternative. I read an article doing this very thing a
while back, it might be interesting to you:
http://radex.io/swift/nsuserdefaults/static/. It makes the key type a class
instead, and inherits from a non-generic parent class to which it adds the
static properties.

The gist of it is roughly like this (although the article uses subscript,
which does not allow for a generic implementation so I use a get/set
approach here for brevity):

```
class DefaultsKeys {}
final class DefaultsKey<T>: DefaultsKeys {
    let value: String

    init(_ value: String) {
        self.value = value

extension UserDefaults {
    func get<T>(_ key: DefaultsKey<T>) -> T? {
        return object(forKey: key.value) as? T
    }

    func set<T>(_ key: DefaultsKey<T>, to value: T) {
        set(value, forKey: key.value)

extension DefaultsKeys {
    static let version = DefaultsKey<String>("version")
}

let defaults = UserDefaults.standard
defaults.set(.version, to: "1.0")
let version = defaults.get(.version)