[swift-users] can we express "does not conform to a particular protocol"?

Austin Zheng austinzheng at gmail.com
Mon Jul 3 23:41:42 CDT 2017

I'm pretty sure solutions like the one you proposed are impossible, unfortunately :(. The compiler has to choose the static override at compile time, but it can't tell until runtime whether the type conforms to `Equatable` or not (because of retroactive conformance).

It's also not possible to use the as or is dynamic casting machinery to work with `Equatable`, because of the use of the `Self` type in its requirements.

A feature that the community has expressed interest in, "generalized existentials", may allow you to implement a function that does what you want.

Best,
Austin