[swift-users] Decode a JSON object of unknown format into a Dictionary with Decodable in Swift 4

Jon Shier jon at jonshier.com
Fri Jun 23 11:24:30 CDT 2017

David:
	I never called the design silly (though I think it’s inadequate for some important usage and makes some strange decisions), I was referring to the fact that the (apparent) official solution can’t actually decode all of the JSON people use. It’s the same reason I brought up NSISO8601DateFormatter. After years of using third party libraries or writing your own, limited, implementation, finally, finally there was an official solution from Apple. The official 8601 date formatter. Only, come to find out, it doesn’t actually handle all of 8601 and those third party libraries or custom implementations are still required if you venture outside supported scenarios. I’m concerned about the same thing happening here. Now, if JSONDecoder isn’t actually intended to serve as a general JSON parsing solution, which I think would be surprising to a lot people, then fair enough. Apple and the Swift team just need to be far more clear that that’s the case, rather letting everyone believe otherwise. And frankly, if that’s the case, I think a huge opportunity has been missed. At the same time, if / when an official solution for JSON parsing comes out, or an actual JSON representation, how will it interact with the previous implementation?
	These concerns, and the general concerns I expressed during the evolution review (which still exist) aside, this is fixable, if the Swift team is interested in doing so. However, if the limitations of JSONDecoder aren’t even seen as limitations, or interest in fixing them aren’t there, then there’s little point to continuing the discussion. Something as simple as an additional decode(_ type: from: Any) on JSONDecoder would solve the issues with decoding partially deserialized blobs or representations from other APIs. Something to help represent Any in Codable types might be useful, though I recognize that there isn’t any way to currently differentiate between Codable types and those just used by JSON.
	All of that said, my concerns mainly lie within the JSON realm. Codable works great for serialization to disk or other scenarios where I can just deal with the Data result and not have to worry about weakly typed intermediate results. I’ll certainly be using it everywhere I can. And I’m super happy that conformance is generated by the compiler rather than manually, like we had to do with Objective-C for over a decade. Even the JSON side is useful if I can control both sides of the API, which makes Swift on the server very powerful.
	So if I seem overly strident in my expression here it’s because I experience the pain of consuming poorly designed JSON in Swift on practically a daily basis and had hoped that a native implementation would alleviate that. That it doesn’t, for me and others, currently, is very disappointing. That the Swift team doesn’t seem to see the current limitations as important or at all is doubly so, since it seems like these issues will never be fixed.

Jon