[swift-users] Conforming to the protocol requirements with implicitly unwrapped optional

Anton Bronnikov anton.bronnikov at me.com
Mon May 29 10:48:44 CDT 2017

Like I mentioned, it is necessary to use optional, but it can not be nil.  Consider the following example where I have to use an optional in order to break retention cycle:

protocol Container : class {
    var component: Component { get }
}

class ConcreteContainer : Container {
    var component: Component! = nil
    init() {
        component = Component(container: self)

class Component {
    unowned let container: Container
    init(container: Container) {
        self.container = container

Playground execution failed: error: scratchpad.playground:5:7: error: type 'ConcreteContainer' does not conform to protocol 'Container'
class ConcreteContainer : Container {
      ^

scratchpad.playground:2:9: note: protocol requires property 'component' with type 'Component'; do you want to add a stub?
    var component: Component { get }
        ^

scratchpad.playground:6:9: note: candidate has non-matching type 'Component!'
    var component: Component! = nil
        ^

Cheers,
Anton

P.S. Declaring protocol as

protocol Container : class {
    var component: Component! { get }
}

.. would also work of course, but my question is not about how to move forward, rather about whether such setup is deliberate.