[swift-users] Future(of: self.references)?

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Wed May 24 18:37:32 CDT 2017

> On May 22, 2017, at 5:56 PM, Greg Power <gregp at blackmagicdesign.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Travis,
>
> I’m certainly not a core contributor, but I could point you to the rejection email for this proposal, which you might not have seen:
>
> https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160104/005478.html <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160104/005478.html>
>
> It states that the core team felt that the proposal was not the right direction for Swift, and lists a few reasons.
>
> The main reason appears to be that enforcing a mandatory self for instance members would increase the visual clutter of the language, which is counter to Swift's goals of clarity and minimal boilerplate.
>
> That email links to Paul Cantrell’s response to the proposal, which is also a really good (and elucidating) read: https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151214/002910.html <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20151214/002910.html>.
>
> No need for flame or heat!

Thank you Greg (and others) for the replies. I don’t think much of the *rationale* stated there, especially actually Paul Cantrell’s. BUT, I can appreciate that it was a “contentious” issue. And as said, I didn’t come to stir the pot. Merely to get clarification.

I did my time in the language wars of the late 90’s and early 00’s. After a while, like real wars, I came to realize the pointlessness of a lot of it. Perspectives are huge, e.g. brevity of characters and brevity in consistency are two different things that can counter each other and be argued equally by both sides in the name of brevity. History repeats itself. Swift has lots to like.

It would be great if there was a switch in a tool like Xcode that would insert magical “self” bubbles for visual consistency wherever they appeared. But then… I’m still wondering if we’ll ever see refactoring tools emerge in Xcode for Swift (and beginning to lose hope).