[swift-users] override-like keyword for default implementations

Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky nevin.brackettrozinsky at gmail.com
Tue May 16 17:40:20 CDT 2017

On Tue, May 16, 2017 at 4:59 PM, Vladimir.S via swift-users <
swift-users at swift.org> wrote:

> On May 16, 2017, at 12:32 PM, Nevin Brackett-Rozinsky via swift-users <
> swift-users at swift.org <mailto:swift-users at swift.org>> wrote:
>
>> There is not.
>>
>> At some point in the future, I believe the plan is to eventually allow
>> default implementations to be written in-line within the protocol
>> declaration itself. In other words, the fact that default implementations
>> currently must appear in extensions, is a temporary limitation that has not
>> yet been a priority to address.
>

> Very interested, why do you have this impression? I didn't see this idea
> in the list previously(probably I just missed it). I strongly believe there
> can't be such 'plan'.

It has come up sporadically over the years, dating back I think to the old
Dev Forums before Swift was open-sourced. Best I can find with a quick
search of the Evolution list is this message
<https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160125/008509.html>
from
early 2016 where Chris Lattner wrote, “This is a desired feature, but a
surprising amount of implementation effort blocks “just doing it”.”

So my understanding is that, while it may not be plan-of-record *per se*,
it is certainly on the radar.

Nevin