[swift-users] Annotating C APIs without changing the original header files

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Sun May 7 16:06:53 CDT 2017

I'm trying to use apinotes for this third-party C library (call it "Lib.dylib"). It has an enum lgs_error_t:

typedef enum {
    lgs_error_none = 0,
    lgs_error_invalid_handle = -1,
    lgs_error_null = -2,
    lgs_error_invalid_parameter = -3,
    lgs_error_invalid_operation = -4,
    lgs_error_queue_full = -5
} lgs_error_t;

So I wrote apinotes ("Lib.apinotes") that look like this, next to the .dylib, and part of my Xcode iOS app target:

Enumerators:
# lgs_error_t

- Name: lgs_error_none
  SwiftName: lgs_error_t.none
- Name: lgs_error_invalid_handle
  SwiftName: lgs_error_t.invalidHandle
- Name: lgs_error_null
  SwiftName: lgs_error_t.nullParameter
- Name: lgs_error_invalid_parameter
  SwiftName: lgs_error_t.invalideParameter
- Name: lgs_error_invalid_operation
  SwiftName: lgs_error_t.invalidOperation
- Name: lgs_error_queue_full
  SwiftName: lgs_error_t.queueFull

But this line of code fails:

var err: lgs_error_t = .nullParameter
Type 'lgs_error_t' has no member 'nullParameter'

Am I missing something else?