[swift-users] weak self

Adrian Zubarev adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com
Mon May 1 09:55:03 CDT 2017

Not answering the questions, but sharing a neat trick.

[weak self] in

guard let `self` = self else { return }

self.foo() // strong self :)

--
Adrian Zubarev
Sent with Airmail

Am 1. Mai 2017 um 16:46:33, Rien via swift-users (swift-users at swift.org) schrieb:

In my code I use a lot of queues. And (very often) I will use [weak self] to prevent doing things when ‘self’ is no longer available.

Now I am wondering: how does the compiler know that [weak self] is referenced?

I am assuming it keeps a reverse reference from self to the [weak self] in order to ‘nil’ the [weak self] when self is nilled.

But when a job is executing it has no control over the exclusive rights to [weak self].

I.e. [weak self] may be nilled by an outside event in the middle of say:

if self != nil { return self!.myparam }

The if finding [weak self] non nil, but the return finding [weak self] as nil

Is that correct? i.e. should we never use the above if construct but always:

return self?.myparam ?? 42

Regards,
Rien

Site: http://balancingrock.nl