[swift-users] Using withUnsafePointer on char arrays within C structs

Hooman Mehr hooman at mac.com
Thu Mar 2 15:43:55 CST 2017

Yes, the easiest way is to rely on compiler magic for ObjC/C interoperability, but it is also important to know what is really happening.

My preferred version of the compiler magic is this actually:

func allZerosUUID() -> String {

    return NSUUID(uuidBytes: [UInt8](repeating: 0, count: 32)).uuidString
}

Which is effectively this:

func allZerosUUID() -> String {

    let allZeros = [UInt8](repeating: 0, count: 32)

    return NSUUID(uuidBytes: allZeros).uuidString
}

(Note the use of let and absence of &).