[swift-users] Associativity of && and || operator

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Mon Feb 20 12:16:08 CST 2017

Remember too that in Swift the operator is decoupled from its implementation. Plenty of people are using && for things like constraint or predicate DSLs, where it doesn't short-circuit. Of course, a non-associative version of && would be quite surprising, so even a custom implementation probably shouldn't rely on the left-associativity.

There's one other reason to prefer this way, though, and that's complexity in the AST. Recall that the RHS of the standard && (and ||, and ??) is an auto-closure—Swift's way to avoid the eager evaluation of the argument. Right-associativity would result in heavily-nested autoclosures, and even though they'll all be flattened as part of compilation, the AST representation still has to model them that way. So purely from a compiler-implementation perspective left-associativity has a small edge.

I think you're right that we should have picked right-associativity anyway, but at this point I'm not sure it's worth changing it.

Jordan