[swift-users] [swift-evolution] Plan to move swift-evolution and swift-users mailing lists to Discourse

Travis Griggs travisgriggs at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 16:57:54 CST 2017

Not sure if I got the "reply all" right… I’ll throw my 2c in.

I like mailing lists. I like them, because they let me choose the viewer that I want to participate with(separation of presentation and data). I lose that with a web forum. And there’s something valuable about actually forcing people to reduce their questions/answers to simple textual communications.

I’m not familiar with “Discourse”, but I guess I can learn new things. But I think this “bring your own viewer” is a meaningful thing for some people, so if it can be a hybrid (doubling as a mailing list), then I’m cool with that.

In general, I’ve found mailing lists to be longer lasting and more vibrant than any of the forums I’ve dealt with, especially of late. The only exception I can think of would be the StackWhatever sites, and even those I’ve noticed seem to be less useful of late. I find it’s harder to get your questions noticed in forums.