[swift-users] fileprivate extensions can't add protocol conformance

Paul Schmidt paul.schmidt at smartsheet.com
Mon Feb 13 10:35:45 CST 2017

Would love for this to be possible. It becomes an issue in mixed code: if
you include conformance to a <foo>Kit protocol in one of your Swift
classes, then you have to include the corresponding headers in every
Objective C file that includes the bridging .h file. The <foo>Kit classes
are added to the bridging header, but not the protocols. There are
workarounds (such as using an instance of a conforming nested class as a
proxy- nested classes are not emitted in the bridging header), but it's so
much cleaner to be able conform to the protocol privately. (Either that, or
fix the utility that builds the bridging header so it exposes the protocol
as well.)

Paul Schmidt | Smartsheet
Senior iOS Software Development Engineer
E: paul.schmidt at Smartsheet.com
C: 425.283.9576

Work *Better*™
Learn More → smartsheet.com