[swift-users] Plan to move swift-evolution and swift-users mailing lists to Discourse

Jan Neumüller nasan at slayers.de
Thu Feb 9 08:56:59 CST 2017

Well, if the community likes it so much. Have fun with it. I will leave as I have left the Developer Forums at Apple because they became unusable.

> On 9 Feb 2017, at 15:17, Adrian Zubarev <adrian.zubarev at devandartist.com> wrote:
>
> The quote below made my day dear Swift friend as I might remind you that if modern is associated with hate in your mind, then the modern programming language called Swift would probably be a bad choice.

I starting to think that myself. I was very active at the beginning of Swift (way before the open sourcing) but I absolutely don’t like the increasing influence of functional programming on it. I despise fp and don’t want it in Swift. If people want it that much use Haskell 8(
> I might remind everyone that Discourse is open sourced and therefore tweaks are possible. If you prefer a consistent font like on swift.org <http://swift.org/>, than spell it out and help to create a corner on the web where every Swiftier feels right at home.

I don’t think that Discourse is salvageable but go on. But I don’t know how one could rip out this big piece of JavaScript and keep ist functional.
> Personally I’d prefer (if possible) that we’d remove profile pictures from the forum and simply have only full names (colored?) + some kind of annotation (e.g. Core Team, etc.). Profile pictures are only gimmicks that does not contribute to anything at all.
>
> As Jan already said, the font (and font-size?) of the forum could match the font from swift.org <http://swift.org/> if possible. I wouldn’t mind and it’d make it a little bit more alike.

You don’t have to care for me - Swift 4 will be the deciding step if I throw any Swift work away and return to Objective-C. The heavy functional programming push since open sourcing is so annoying and made Swift imo a worse language.

Jan