[swift-users] Airbnb's Swift 3 Migration Blog

Michael Ilseman milseman at apple.com
Tue Feb 7 19:12:46 CST 2017

> On Feb 7, 2017, at 4:58 PM, Chengyin Liu <chengyin.liu at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the feedback!
>
> > This is probably source-compatibility that you want, not necessarily ABI compatibility.
>
> You are right. Thank you for the correction.
>
> > BTW, are you mixed-source? If so, were you able to try out PCH for bridging headers as identified here: https://swift.org/blog/bridging-pch/? <https://swift.org/blog/bridging-pch/?>
>
> We are. We are excited with PCH but currently compiler fails with segfault using Xcode 8.3b2 for us. We are still investigating to provide the best info there.
>
> > If you can produce a test case that repros the blowup, can you put that in a JIRA?
>
> Filed: http://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-3892 <http://bugs.swift.org/browse/SR-3892>. Notably this function builds even slower with 3.1. (2.3: 0.6s → 3.0: 12s → 3.1: 22s)

Thanks. It seems like it’s the closure argument to map specifically that needs an annotation (see comment in SR).

> > “Near misses” on Optional Protocol Method Implementations
>
> I don't think those are actual bugs. From a compiler standpoint, the code is fine. We did hit another issue with protocol near miss that may count as a compiler issue. I will try to create a reproducible case.

They’re not bugs, but near-miss detection is a major quality-of-life improvement that the compiler should be better at. It falls under the general category of having better and more helpful diagnostics.