[swift-users] Question about text colouring in NSTextView

Valera Tarasov vytarasov at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 4 08:03:14 CST 2017

Dear Members,

I need help and have a question about the performance oftext coloring in NSTextView. I have used NSAttributedString  and NSForegroundColorAttributeName,NSBackgroundColorAttributeName to color the string about 20 000 characters andmore. I have found quite significant slow down depending on number of colours, and whether Iuse NSForegroundColorAttributeName or NSBackgroundColorAttributeName. It ismatter of seconds and minutes !!! It makes almost not possible to work with a stringof thousands up to millions of characters, which is standard to work with DNAsequences (sequences composed by A, T, G and C). Is there a hope to solve thisproblem ? I have asked this question on http://stackoverflow.com/questions/41962952/how-to-use-colour-for-text-colouring-without-slowing-down-the-process. No answer.  This bad thing is blocking Swift usagefor molecular biology.Best wishes,

Valery