[swift-users] [swift-evolution] for-else syntax

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Thu Feb 2 14:12:27 CST 2017

I've taken this over to Swift Users from Swift Evolution.

I think you'd want to handle the exceptional case first, as it provides an opportunity for early exit before processing normal behavior. In such case, consider using a guard rather than an if:

guard !names.isEmpty else { print("No names"; return }
for name in names { ... }

Flipping the two tests allows you to use an existing if-else without changing the language, although there's really nothing that the `else` is adding here:

if names.isEmpty { ... }
else for name in names { ... }

-- E