[swift-users] Exclamation mark's in swift parameter listings?

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Wed Jan 18 22:57:59 CST 2017

For what it’s worth, if T is a reference type or Unsafe*Pointer, then T and Optional<T> have the same exact representation in memory.

The compiler is smart enough to know that a non-optional pointer can never be NULL, so a NULL value of the underlying type can be used to unambiguously encode the ‘none’ case. This is not the case with Optional<NSRect> for example, where every bit pattern represents a potentially valid NSRect value, so Optional<NSRect> has to add an extra tag byte to distinguish the two enum cases from each other.

Slava