[swift-users] Difficulties extending BinaryFloatingPoint

Steve (Numerics) Canon scanon at apple.com
Thu Jan 5 10:04:40 CST 2017

Hi Jens —

BinaryFloatingPoint is very deliberately limited to the arithmetic operations required by IEEE 754. This is the minimal set of operations that a binary floating point type should provide, but it's already a really large implementation burden for someone who wants to implement their own conforming type.

I agree that there should eventually be either a refinement or orthogonal protocol[s] with the semantics “type implements [a subset of] the standard math functions”, but those shouldn’t get bolted onto BinaryFloatingPoint—implementing these functions for an arbitrary BinaryFloatingPoint type is highly non-trivial, and would make the implementation burden for a new floating point type unreasonably high. This is also out-of-scope for the current phase of Swift evolution.

In the short term for your immediate problem at hand, I’ve been doing something like:

import Darwin

public protocol Math: BinaryFloatingPoint {
  func _exp() -> Self
  func _log() -> Self
  func _sin() -> Self
  func _cos() -> Self
}

extension Double: Math {
  public func _exp() -> Double { return exp(self) }
  public func _log() -> Double { return log(self) }
  public func _sin() -> Double { return sin(self) }
  public func _cos() -> Double { return cos(self) }
}

extension Float: Math {
  public func _exp() -> Float { return exp(self) }
  public func _log() -> Float { return log(self) }
  public func _sin() -> Float { return sin(self) }
  public func _cos() -> Float { return cos(self) }
}

func exp<T: Math>(_ x: T) -> T { return x._exp() }
func log<T: Math>(_ x: T) -> T { return x._log() }
func sin<T: Math>(_ x: T) -> T { return x._sin() }
func cos<T: Math>(_ x: T) -> T { return x._cos() }

extension Math {
  func sigmoid() -> Self {
    return 1.0 / (1.0 + exp(-self))

let x = 1.0
x.sigmoid()

Someone else might have a more clever solution.
– Steve