[swift-users] How much memory does withMemoryRebound bind

Etan Kissling etan at scriptreactor.com
Thu Dec 29 09:19:53 CST 2016

Thanks once more!

It all depends on how withMemoryRebound works.

If there is any way where it actually copies the bound memory to a separate place, then passes that copy to the closure,
it would not be a good idea to write past the end of the bound memory.

If withMemoryRebound is a simple cast like in C, everything would be fine (as we know there is an underlying sockaddr_storage big enough),
but since we only pass the smaller size to withMemoryRebound, I'm not sure of the semantics.

In the end, if it would be a simple cast, I wonder what the "capacity" parameter of withMemoryReboundis actually used for...

I also "believe" it is correct but I want to know for sure :)