[swift-users] Protocol Initializer Inheritance

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Fri Nov 18 19:22:35 CST 2016

I think this is a known issue. You can work around it by jumping through another function:

import Foundation
protocol MyProtocol {
 init(foo: Int, bar: String)
}

class MyOperation: Operation, MyProtocol {
 required init(foo: Int, bar: String) {
     super.init()

private func makeMyProtoHelper<T: MyProtocol>() -> T {
 return T(foo: 0, bar: "bar")
}

func makeMyProto<T: MyProtocol>() -> T where T: Operation {
  return makeMyProtoHelper()
}

Jordan