[swift-users] Workaround for generics not currently supporting conditional conformance to a protocol

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Nov 16 16:35:36 CST 2016

> On Nov 16, 2016, at 7:35, David Sweeris via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 15, 2016, at 11:55 PM, Howard Lovatt <howard.lovatt at gmail.com <mailto:howard.lovatt at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>> @Dave,
>>
>> How do I write that though.
>>
>> I can't write:
>>
>>     extension Array: Equatable {
>>         static func ==(lhs: Array, rhs: Array) -> Bool {
>>             let size = lhs.count
>>             precondition(rhs.count == size, "The arrays must be the same length")
>>             for i in 0 ..< size {
>>                 if (lhs[i] as! Equatable) != (rhs[i] as! Equatable) {
>>                     return false
>>                 }
>>             }
>>             return true
>>         }
>>     }
>>
>> Because I can't cast to an Equatable, because Equatable uses Self.
>>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>>  -- Howard.
>>
>>   -- Howard.
>>
>> On 16 November 2016 at 16:35, David Sweeris <davesweeris at mac.com <mailto:davesweeris at mac.com>> wrote:
>>
>> > On Nov 15, 2016, at 21:39, Howard Lovatt via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org <mailto:swift-users at swift.org>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > Does anyone have a good workaround for generics not currently supporting conditional conformance to a protocol. As stated in the Generics Manifesto something like this would be nice:
>> >
>> >   extension Array: Equatable where Element: Equatable {
>> >         static func ==(lhs: Array, rhs: Array) -> Bool { ... }
>> >     }
>> >
>> > But I would currently write a wrapper, something like:
>> >
>> >     struct ArrayE<T: Equatable> {
>> >         var elements: [T]
>> >     }
>> >     extension ArrayE: Equatable {
>> >         static func ==(lhs: ArrayE, rhs: ArrayE) -> Bool { ...  }
>> >     }
>> >
>> > This can get unwieldy when there are a lot of conditional protocol extensions required, i.e. wrappers round wrappers.
>> >
>> > Is there a better way?
>> >
>> > Thanks for any tips,
>> >
>> >   -- Howard.
>>
>> Can you make Array conform to Equatable for any T and then in the == function, if T conforms to Equatable loop the Arrays to check if they're equal, and if it doesn't conform just return false?
>>
>> I mean, it's still "wrong", but at least you won't get any false positives.
>>
>> - Dave Sweeris
>>

> You are correct. The work-around is to use two extensions and overload the == operator:
>
> extension Array: Equatable {
>     public static func == (lhs: Array, rhs: Array) -> Bool {
>         return false
>     }
> }
> extension Array where Element : Equatable {
>     public static func == (lhs: Array, rhs: Array) -> Bool {
>         return lhs.count == rhs.count && {
>             for i in 0..<lhs.count {
> [...]

This does not work. The == dispatch for Arrays is static in this case, not dynamic. You can test this by writing something generic on Equatable.

func same<T: Equatable>(_ x: T, _ y: T) -> Bool { return x == y }
print(same([1], [2]))

Rule of thumb: overloads are resolved statically, protocol requirements are invoked dynamically. You cannot get dynamic behavior out of just overloads, ever.

I don't think there's a way to get this behavior today, unfortunately.

Jordan