[swift-users] wishing I could cast (sort of) to protocol with associated type

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Wed Nov 2 15:58:16 CDT 2016

The only real way to do this today is to have two layers of protocol:

protocol SpecialControllerBase {
  var currentValueBase: SpecialValue? { get }
}
protocol SpecialController: SpecialControllerBase {
  associatedtype SpecialValueType : SpecialValue
  var currentValue: SpecialValueType? { get }
}
extension SpecialController {
  var currentValueBase: SpecialValue? { return self.currentValue }
}

Supporting this natively is the feature called generalized existentials, described in the “Generics Manifesto <https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/GenericsManifesto.md#generalized-existentials>” of potential future Swift features. This has a lot of design and implementation considerations, so it’s not planned to happen right away, but it’s definitely a heavily-requested feature.

Jordan