[swift-users] C unsigned int[] imported as tuple?

Thierry Passeron thierry.passeron at gmail.com
Sat Oct 29 05:34:34 CDT 2016

Hi everyone,

I’m working on a project where I deal with mach here and there, and strangely enough this C struct (from mach/processor_info.h)...

struct processor_cpu_load_info {             /* number of ticks while running... */
        unsigned int	cpu_ticks[CPU_STATE_MAX]; /* ... in the given mode */
};

is imported in Swift 3 (at least in Xcode8.1 beta) as…

public struct processor_cpu_load_info {

    public var cpu_ticks: (UInt32, UInt32, UInt32, UInt32) /* number of ticks while running... */ /* ... in the given mode */

I find it strange because the index of each UInt32 value depends on machine.h define(d) indexes for CPU_STATE_USER, CPU_STATE_SYSTEM etc…

So the only way to access them in the tuple « format » is to hard code cpu_ticks.0 or cpu_ticks.1 etc… and thus we loose the defined named indexes from machine.h

Am I missing something? What do you guys think of this matter?

For me this tuple should have been at least imported with named fields or even better as [UInt32] array...

Best regards,
Thierry