[swift-users] [Swift3][Linux][URLSession]: Core dump when trying to make simple HTTP request

Evtim Papushev e.papushev at me.com
Thu Oct 27 08:47:23 CDT 2016

Hi Steven,

Do you run your project in Xcode Playgrounds or under Linux?

Generally processes are associated with a single thread, the main thread. Once it exits the process and all executing threads are terminated.

1. Queue.async only schedules a task to be executed, then continues with the rest of the statements. In your case it prints "ending sync”, then it reaches the end and the process terminates.

2. Queue.sync schedules the block for execution, but it also does not return until this block gets executed. So, it effectively pauses the main thread waiting for the task to complete.

In both cases, however, you have an implicit asynchrony as all URLSession tasks run asynchronously. Imagine that it internally calls someQueue.async(…)

There are a few different approaches that you might want to investigate.

1. Make explicit synchronization:

print("staring sync")

let group = DispatchGroup()

group.enter()
queue.async(execute: {
    print(">>> [\(queue.label)]: At the queue start")
    print("x")
    let task = session.dataTask(with: URL(string: "http://google.com")!, completionHandler: {
        (data, response, error) in
        print("Task ran!")
        group.leave()
    })
    print("y")
    task.resume()
    print("z")
})
print("ending sync")
group.wait()

I would go further and note, that since all URLSession tasks are asynchronous, there is absolutely no need to use additional queues:
(I took the liberty to add a set of URLs)

let sessionConfiguration = URLSessionConfiguration.default
let session = URLSession(configuration: sessionConfiguration)

let urls = ["https://www.google.com", "https://www.apple.com"]

let group = DispatchGroup()

print("staring sync")

urls.forEach { url in
    group.enter()
    session.dataTask(with: URL(string: url)!, completionHandler: {
        (data, response, error) in
        print("Task ran!")
        group.leave()
    }).resume()
}

print("ending sync")
group.wait()

2. Investigate the use of dispatch_main()
https://developer.apple.com/reference/dispatch/1452860-dispatch_main

Best,
Evtim