[swift-users] Segmentation fault: 11 after updating codebase to Swift 3.0

Evan Maloney emaloney at gilt.com
Fri Oct 21 11:26:36 CDT 2016

After a gargantuan effort updating our entire codebase to Swift 3.0, we are now being greeted with "Segmentation fault: 11" compiler crash whenever attempting to build.

The issue seems to be related to generics, and sounds similar to this issue:

	http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39426535/segmentation-fault-11-xcode-8-swift-3-after-using-notificationcenter/39426812

I've filed a bug report that includes our project codebase, which triggers the issue 100% of the time:

	rdar://problem/28890409

The usual work-around of turning off Whole Module Optimization (which has gotten around a lot of compiler crashes in the past) does not work here.

Unfortunately, this code is in such a tangle of generics that undoing it is not going to be simple. Until a new version of Xcode ships, we're pretty much blocked from using Swift 3.0 unless another work-around is possible.