[swift-users] Counting in Threads

Daniel Dunbar daniel_dunbar at apple.com
Wed Oct 12 10:18:47 CDT 2016

I suspect one of the actual compiler people might tell me I shouldn't trust this, but in practice it works:
--
import Darwin.C

public class AtomicInt32 {
    public fileprivate (set) var value : Int32 = 0

    /// Create a new atomic integer with the specified initial value.
    public init(_ value: Int32 = 0) {
        self.value = value
    }

    /// Add one to the value.
    public func increment () {
        OSAtomicIncrement32(&value)

public func +=(int: AtomicInt32, value: Int32) {
    OSAtomicAdd32(value, &int.value)

Would also love to know if compiler guarantees I *can* trust this.

Note that this has to be a class for this to be in any way safe, which means it is also rather inefficient if the use case was having a lot of them.

 - Daniel