[swift-users] C interop: passing null pointers to unwrapped unsafe pointers

Ingo Maier ingoem at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 09:02:27 CDT 2016

Is there a way in Swift 3 to pass a null pointer to a C function that
takes an implicitly unwrapped unsafe pointer? I understand that
pointer parameters in C that don't specify nullability are mapped to
implicitly unwrapped pointers in Swift 3. Since it's not uncommon for
existing unannotated C APIs to accept null pointers, I assume there
has to be a way other than creating my own bridge functions in C. I
hope I am not wrong.

I am a bit surprised that I couldn't find an answer to this, neither
on this list nor on stackoverflow, as I presume I am not the only one
with this problem. Sorry, if I missed something.

Cheers,
Ingo