[swift-users] POSIX getaddrinfo memory behaviour

Etan Kissling kissling at oberon.ch
Tue Oct 4 16:52:42 CDT 2016

Got an answer here:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/39857435/swift-getaddrinfo

Current version:
http://pastebin.com/y7nDATSH

On 4 Oct 2016, at 19:30, Etan Kissling via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org<mailto:swift-users at swift.org>> wrote:

Yup (BTW I'm fine with the "ai_next" item becoming useless in the copies. I just want to copy out the other parts in a way that gets copied reliably)

On 4 Oct 2016, at 19:26, Mike Ferenduros via swift-users <swift-users at swift.org<mailto:swift-users at swift.org>> wrote:

Ach, apologies - I forgot that addrinfo contains pointers. Ignore what I said :)

On Tuesday, October 4, 2016, Mike Ferenduros <mike.ferenduros at gmail.com<mailto:mike.ferenduros at gmail.com>> wrote:
Swift won't mess with memory it does't own, and memory the addrinfo list falls into that category.

The addrinfo you're accessing through pointee  is a struct which means that when you assign it somewhere you get a *copy* of the thing pointed to. Swift owns that copy and will manage it properly, and leave the original alone.

Fwiw, this is the wrapper I'm using for sockets right now:
https://github.com/mike-ferenduros/SwiftySockets