[swift-users] Canonical way to cast C structs

Bouke Haarsma bouke at haarsma.eu
Wed Sep 21 00:45:54 CDT 2016

The Socket API Helper (https://swift.org/migration-guide/se-0107-migrate.html#socket-api-helper) expect a property ss_len on sockaddr_storage. This property is not available on Linux, so the wrappers won’t work without any additional knowledge of the internet protocol family. Any ideas on how these wrappers can be fixed for Linux?

    func withSockAddr<ReturnType>(_ body: (_ sa: UnsafePointer<sockaddr>, _ saLen: socklen_t) throws -> ReturnType) rethrows -> ReturnType {
        // We need to create a mutable copy of `self` so that we can pass it to `withUnsafePointer(to:_:)`.
        var ss = self
        return try withUnsafePointer(to: &ss) {
            try $0.withMemoryRebound(to: sockaddr.self, capacity: 1) {
                try body($0, socklen_t(self.ss_len))

Replacing self.ss_len with MemoryLayout<self>.size would not be correct, as it should not be sockaddr's / sockaddr_storage’s size, but sockaddr_in[6]’s size.