[swift-users] @escaping may only be applied to parameters of function type

Michael Ilseman milseman at apple.com
Wed Sep 14 13:16:52 CDT 2016

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 8:37 PM, Shawn Erickson <shawnce at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am in the process of updating to Xcode 8 release so I can't confirm at the moment but I am fairly sure I hit a situation with being asked to implement a func from a protocol that got autocompleted with @escape nested as shown. It would then of course complain that wasn't valid. If I fixed it I don't think it was considered being implemented (it could only be an issue as noted in my prior thread related to default implementation not being picked up).
>
> I will start a discussion about @escaping on the evolution list (hopefully soon). The main issue I see – beyond quirks like this – is that the proposal stated that closures would become noescape by default.

Link for those following along at home: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0103-make-noescape-default.md

Practically every occurrence of the word “closure” is immediately proceeded by “argument” or “argument to function”. Thus, it does not apply to stored members of structs, enum payloads, etc. I don’t like this either, but that is the current situation. Additionally, withoutActuallyEscaping is not implemented yet either, though I am looking into that.

This gets muddy and non-intuitive very quickly, especially with syntactic sugar and the overall prevalence of optionals (especially when importing from ObjC!). In a pure Swift world, the most effective workaround (though I haven’t tested this myself) if one wants non-escaping optional closure arguments, is to use function overloading for the interface, but that’s not particularly fun (although withoutActuallyEscaping could help a tiny bit). In a mixed world, there is outright breakage around the seams, and I’m investigating what all the issues there are (I suspect many are compiler bugs, rather than language bugs).

I would be in favor (and can help you champion) an escaping rule that propagates through generic parameters and non-nominal-type members.