[swift-users] Swift and Xcode along with Playgrounds is full of bugs

Jens Alfke jens at mooseyard.com
Tue Sep 13 22:43:26 CDT 2016

> On Sep 13, 2016, at 7:24 PM, Shyamal Chandra <shyamalc at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Could you give me examples of what I said was clearly "unprofessional”?

Well, starting with the title of the thread, as others have noted. You’re coming across as very confrontational and, well, entitled.

> Two months for a bug because open source is "do it yourself".  This sounds like a crappy support team by a large multinational company that open sources non-functional Linux ports of its language.

Open source does not imply full support. It’s just making the code available. My understanding is that most of the Linux work is being done by volunteers.

Second, a lot of people here would disagree that the Linux version of Swift is “non-functional”.  You’re extrapolating from one problem that you ran into; if a lot of people were hitting that problem, it would have been more of a priority to fix (and you’d see notes from other people on the bug report, or reports of duplicates), so I’m assuming you’re the only one. Yes, it’s frustrating to be hit by an apparently-rare issue, but that doesn’t mean the software is broken.

> I gave clear examples and bugs so I don't understand why you are getting defensive and hammering me with the "unprofessional" word.

Because your language and tone are confrontational and offensive. If you’re not willing to recognize that, I’m not sure what to suggest. Better communication skills will get you farther in the long run than just arguing louder and more vehemently.

> First, address the issues and the bugs; I gave you clear examples and you circumvent those issues and flag the post because you don't want to confront that the tooling is buggy and flaky.

You’ve pointed out two bugs that you filed. It’s good that you filed them! But that’s neither an impressive number to report, nor a ridiculous number of bugs in a product. So I’m not sure what you’re attempting to justify.

—Jens