[swift-users] Method of same name is shadowing a property in Swift 3

Hooman Mehr hooman at mac.com
Tue Sep 13 17:13:55 CDT 2016

As I see it, this is serious bug. In Swift 3.0, parameter labels (or lack of them) are supposed to be a part of the function name.
Otherwise, the two `key` definitions would create a name collision and should have been rejected in the first place. This should not happen, because only `key(at:)` should be treated as a method pointer and not `key`. Even the following example:

protocol QueryRow {
    var key: Any { get }
    func key(_ index: UInt) -> Any?
}

should not create a collision as method pointer now is `key(_:)` and not `key`. I guess the reason this is happening is some attempt at backward compatibility, but this is clearly causing a serious bug. Have you reported it?