[swift-users] Swift in bare-metal embedded programming/Swift runtime

Slava Pestov spestov at apple.com
Thu Aug 11 23:46:05 CDT 2016

Even if you take care not to create class instances, the compiler emits many calls to runtime functions to implement features such as generics, casts and existentials. It is possible to write code where a large number of runtime calls are optimized away, but I don’t think they can be eliminated completely.

If anyone is interested in taking this on as a community project, it would be a fair amount of work, but I think the first step could be to add compiler flags where calls to runtime functions become diagnostics. Again though, I’m not sure how much effort it would take to eliminate them completely.

Slava