[swift-users] Secure Coding Guideline and SWIFT 3.0 release

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Wed Aug 10 08:58:10 CDT 2016

Hi Sunil

1. From my understanding, there are no Secure Coding Guidelines specifically.

2. Apple has mentioned “Late 2016” as their guide for the release. The tie in with Xcode 8, the release of iOS 10 and macOS Sierra appears to suggest they will be released approximately the same time, so while there are no promises, the plan appears for a release approximately September/October.

3. It is not recommended to use Swift 3 in production code. There are still bug fixes going on, and changes being made. There are no specific issues with development with Swift 3 Dev Previews - they are designed as development previews after all. That said, you should not attempt to develop with Swift 3 if you release timeframe requires a release said code any time within the next several months. This would put you at risk of requiring to release before Swift 3 actually drops. It is highly unrecommended to release software built with Swift 3 before Apple has given the tick of approval. There is still much work going on under the covers.

4. I am not aware of any tools for security purposes. There are some out there for style analysis and good Swift patterns, but they are not security specific. This is partly because the language is so new and in so much flux at the moment, especially with Swift 3 coming.

Thanks,

Rod