[swift-users] More questions about protocol/value programming

Karl razielim at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 23:39:42 CDT 2016

A protocol can require that a certain initialiser exists, but it can’t provide a default implementation (you can add initialisers in a protocol extension IIRC, but then they must delegate to an actual, required initialiser).

A protocol is not the same thing as a subclass. Any type could conform to a protocol. In that case, your init method wouldn’t be valid - there may be other stored properties besides “uuid”; in fact, “uuid” may not be a stored property at all by that type. For example, I could write an extension for String or Array<T> which makes them now conform to Element. The fact that “uuid” isn’t declared mutable but you are trying to set it, is a sign that there is not enough knowledge about the type to do this.

If you do have some common properties and want to encapsulate their logic, create a struct. For example, you might create an “XMLHeader” struct, and PartDefinition and PartInstance can contain it by composition. You would need to add forwarding accessors, but they can be added in an extension to avoid cluttering your code.

e.g.:

> // Could this even be a nested type inside XMLElement, perhaps? That would be even cleaner. Maybe there could then be a “var header: Header?" computed property on XMLElement?
>
> struct XMLElementHeader {
> 	let uuid : UUID
> 	var name : String?
> 	var desc : String?
>
> 	static func parse(_ xml: XMLElement) -> XMLElementHeader? {
> 		// Validate xml
> 		return XMLElementHeader(uuid: ..., name: .none, desc: .none)
> 	}
> }
>
> class PartInstance {
>
> 	var header : XMLElementHeader
>
> 	init(xml: XMLElement) {
> 		guard let parsedHeader = XMLElementHeader.parse(xml) else { fatalError() }
> 		header = parsedHeader
> 	}
> }
>
> class PartDefinition {
>
> 	var header : XMLElementHeader
>
> 	init(xml: XMLElement) {
> 		guard let parsedHeader = XMLElementHeader.parse(xml) else { fatalError() }
> 		header = parsedHeader
> 	}
> }

Then, if you want to provide a nicer interface, do it with an extension:

> protocol Element {
> 	var uuid : UUID    { get }
> 	var name : String? { get, set }
> }
>
> extension PartInstance : Element {
> 	var uuid : UUID    { return header.uuid }
> 	var name : String? { get { return header.name }
> 	 					 set { header.name = newValue } }
> }

That’s how I would do it, anyway.

Karl