[swift-users] Swift Package Manager – system-module and code

Omri Mor omri50 at gmail.com
Mon Aug 1 22:51:24 CDT 2016

That isn’t quite what I mean.

There’s a system-level library, in say /usr/local/lib/libfoo.dylib (or libfoo.so on Linux), with a header in /usr/local/include/foo.h.
foo.h has complex macros that cannot be imported into Swift, so they need a C wrapper/bridge.
This is, say, foo_bridge.c and foo_bridge.h, where the source code defines global variables and functions, as necessary, to replace the macros and the header file has extern variables and function declarations. This must be compiled into a library that itself links with libfoo.
To use libfoo from Swift, it must be linked with foo_bridge so that it can use the macro replacements.

Currently, I can create a package called CFoo and one called CFooBridge that depends on CFoo, and have Swift code (e.g. a Swift wrapper called Foo) depend on CFooBridge. However, this is not ideal. I would prefer that the bridging code is within the CFoo package, as using CFoo without the bridging code is impossible from Swift. It is this that I have not figured out how to do, or if it is possible.

Omri