[swift-users] Are value semantics really appropriate in a diagramming app?

Jordan Rose jordan_rose at apple.com
Mon Aug 1 21:59:42 CDT 2016

I happen to agree with Jens, though Dave Abrahams (and Crusty) might disagree with me. The number one consideration for choosing between a value type and a reference type is “do I want value semantics or reference semantics?” If I want to talk about a particular shape, talk about “that one”, I can only do that if there’s some notion of identity. So yes, if that’s part of my app, I would start with reference types.

Now, that doesn’t have to apply to rendering. As shown in the presentation, if you’re generating the shapes, there’s no need to refer to a particular shape afterwards…especially if the shapes are immutable. Any individual shape is just data to be rendered. But if I want a command like “change the color of that square”, then I need a way to know what “that square” refers to, and an object with persistent identity—a class instance—is one way to do it.

You can get a notion of “identity” in ways other than reference semantics—say, by generating unique IDs that go with a particular shape, and then looking them up later. But it’s a perfectly fine choice to make your model use reference semantics.

All of that said, reference semantics do have traps: mutation makes things harder to test in isolation, and mutation with shared state makes things not thread-safe. So you have to decide what trade-off you want to make in your app.

Jordan