[swift-users] 'REPL not exist' when Install Swift 3(RC3) on Ubuntu 14.04

Liyu Cai liyu.move at gmail.com
Sun Jul 31 04:57:08 CDT 2016

So I was trying to install swift 3 (RC3) on a Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (64 bits)
laptop, but get an REPL missing error.

# What happened
```bash
cd /usr/local/lib
tar xvf swift-3.0-PREVIEW-3-ubuntu14.04.tar.gz
sudo ln -s swift-3.0-PREVIEW-3-ubuntu14.04 swift
```

then, created "/etc/profile.d/swift.sh" with following content:
```bash
export SWIFT_HOME=/usr/local/lib/swift
export PATH=$SWIFT_HOME/usr/bin:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$SWIFT_HOME/usr/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export LIBRARY_PATH=$SWIFT_HOME/usr/lib:$LIBRARY_PATH
```

then, 'source' the .sh file in a terminal and start `swift` :
```bash
source /etc/profile.d/swift.sh
swift
```

and get following error:
```bash
error: REPL executable does not exist: '/usr/local/bin/repl_swift'
```

However, 'swift --version' works with following output:
```bash
Swift version 3.0 (swift-3.0-PREVIEW-3)
Target: x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
```

# Try to solve
Thoughts there are some steps may be missed, so I re-checked the
docs on swift.org and swift.org/lldb , but no lucks. Neither does the
blogs I found on how to set up Swift on Ubuntu OS.

(One can just create a sybolic link of repl_swift under /usr/local/bin, but
it bring more works to uninstall/reconfigure Swfit dev env)

Did anyone have met this before? Anything I can try? Or,possibly,  there
are sth to be done with the release itself...