[swift-users] Optional conformance warnings with Protocols

Rod Brown rodney.brown6 at icloud.com
Sun Jul 24 09:36:27 CDT 2016

They are not equal only because the compiler performs the unwrap for you.

My point is the compiler should not emit a warning that I am not adhering to the protocol. The thing I am returning is an optional - implicitly unwrapped, but optional nonetheless.

The fact they are different in actual use by MY code is irrelevant when you conform to an external protocol, as long as the actual value (an optional) is the same, which they are.

Implicitly unwrapped optional are merely optionals that the compiler is told to implicitly unwrap because using the ! operator where it is not required because it should never (or almost never) be nil.

I believe this should not throw a warning.