[swift-users] Possible swift 3 method rewrite issue with NSRequestConcreteImplementation ?

Tony Parker anthony.parker at apple.com
Tue Jul 19 18:33:14 CDT 2016

Hi John,

Thanks for filing the bug.

The root cause of the issue is that the importer would turn the following methods into the same name:

- (void)encodeInt:(int)x forKey:(NSString *)k;
- (void)encodeInt32:(uint32_t)x forKey:(NSString *)k;

Plus, there is the added confusion that this method:

- (void)encodeInteger:(NSInteger)x forKey:(NSString *)k;

is imported into Swift like this:

func encode(_ x: Int, forKey k : String)

where, as you can see, “Int” means “NSInteger”, but not the C “int”.

I’m not really sure how to resolve this and still allow for subclassing without simply reverting these names back to Swift 2.2 style, so I think that’s probably what I’ll have to do:

func encodeInt(_ x : Int32, forKey k : String)
func encodeInt32(_ x : Int32, forKey k : String)
func encodeInt64(_ x : Int64, forKey k : String)
func encodeInteger(_ x : Int, forKey k : String)

and so on, for all of the encode methods, so they are consistent.

- Tony