[swift-users] simple i/o on linux with open source swift

K Richard Pixley rich at noir.com
Sat Jul 16 18:33:07 CDT 2016

I'm a new swift person, /long/ time unix/linux developer, mac user but
only mac developer inasmuch as mac is unix.  I've installed swift on my
ubuntu box, written hello world, etc.

Now... to write much of anything else, I need a way to
open/read/write/close a file.  I don't see anything like that in the
swift standard library, (aside from print()).  And I don't see anything
in the way of documentation for the Core Library.

How do I do i/o in swift?

I'm not thinking in terms of "an app", just a simple, read from stdin,
write to stdout filter.  How?

Pointers welcome.

--rich