[swift-users] object.self?

Rick Mann rmann at latencyzero.com
Sat Jul 9 16:27:44 CDT 2016

> On Jul 8, 2016, at 09:45 , Austin Zheng <austinzheng at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Rick,
>
> If you have a type (let's call it "T"), you can use it two ways:
>
> * As a type, or part of a type, like such: "let x : T = blah()"
> * As a value, just like any other variable, function argument, property, etc.
>
> In the second case (type-as-value), you need to append ".self" to the type name according to the grammar:
>
> "let x : Any.Type = T.self"
>
> There was a "bug" in Swift 2.x where you could sometimes use just "T", without the ".self", in certain cases (in particular, when you were passing in a type-as-value to a function with one unlabeled argument). That bug has since been fixed.
>
> As for types-as-values: Swift allows you to treat a type as a normal value, which means you can do whatever you want with it: pass it to functions and return it from functions, store it in properties or variables, etc. If you have one of these types-as-values (called 'metatypes'), you can do certain things like call static methods or initializers on them, use them to parameterize generic functions, etc.

Thanks, Austin. I'm familiar with all this in Swift. What threw me was that "subclassObject" was an instance, not a class.

> However, to get back to your original question, the `.self` in that switch statement actually isn't necessary and you should really just be switching on the value of subclassObject itself, not the value of its type.

I would have thought so, but the response to this answer was something along the lines of "I never know when to use the object or its self."

To me, for an instance, foo an foo.self should be equivalent in all respects (shouldn't it?).