[swift-users] Parsing binary data

Tino Heth 2th at gmx.de
Fri Jul 8 02:15:20 CDT 2016

Hi there!

Some weeks ago I wrote a parser for a binary format, but it's performance was disastrous, and I knew how to easily outperform this first approach with Objective-C by large.
Now, I'm about to write a different parser, which of course ;-), I'd prefer to code in Swift.
Working with raw bytes most likely won't ever be a thing where Swift shines, but I guess there are ways to do so without compromising speed… so, are there any established best-practices and things to avoid? Or is it less hassle to go back to C for low-level stuff?

Tino