[swift-users] another issue with tuples

Neil Faiman neil.swift at faiman.org
Wed Jul 6 09:34:00 CDT 2016

The language reference says that “Assignment is performed from each part of the value to the corresponding part of the expression. A String value can be assigned to a String, and a () -> Int value can be assigned to a () throws -> Int, so one would reasonably expect that both tuple assignments would work.

My hunch would be that the compiler has two different code paths for an assignment whose RHS is an identifier and an assignment whose RHS is a  parenthesized-expression; that in the first case starts about by asking whether the RHS type is the same or a subtype of the LHS type, and reporting an error when it isn’t, but that in the second case, it starts with an element-by-element type comparison, which succeeds.

Regards,

	Neil