[swift-users] plugins, verifiable code?

Robert Nikander robert.nikander at icloud.com
Wed May 25 22:54:54 CDT 2016

Hi,

I’m thinking about creating an OS X app with dynamically loaded plugins. I hear that it’s safest to load plugins in a separate process, so they can’t crash the host program. I haven’t tried this yet, so I’m not sure exactly how it will work. But it got me wondering… has there been any discussion about doing something in Swift like Java’s “verified” code, where you can load a 3rd party plugin and trust that it’s not going to segfault or call some C-library? In other words, no unsafe actions. I’ve seen references to “bitcode” but I don’t know how close that is to JVM bytecode.  And maybe this idea is incompatible in some way with the guiding principles of Swift.

Rob