[swift-users] Foundation on Linux `CFBooleanGetTypeID`/`CFGetTypeID`

Ryan Lovelett swift-dev at ryan.lovelett.me
Mon May 23 16:01:27 CDT 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016, at 04:33 PM, Jens Alfke wrote:

>> On May 23, 2016, at 12:25 PM, Ryan Lovelett via swift-users <swift-
>> users at swift.org> wrote:
>>
>> However it seems that Foundation on Linux has neither
>> `CFBooleanGetTypeID` or `CFGetTypeID`.
>
> Those are part of CoreFoundation, the C library on which the Mac/iOS
> Foundation framework is built. The two have a complicated
> relationship; Foundation exposes most but not all of the
> CoreFoundation APIs as Objective-C, but there are still some features
> you have to drop down to C to use. This is one.
>
> But I think you’re using the in-development Swift Foundation? That’s a
> different implementation entirely. Presumably it will have some API of
> its own to determine the type of a number.

Yes I'm using the in-development Swift Foundation. From what I can tell
this version is the one that will be used on non-Darwin platforms.

Assuming that such an API does not currently exist on NSNumber, I'm
reasonably confident that it does not, does this mean that a Swift
Evolution thread has to be started to add it?