[swift-users] super.init() called automatically?

Brandon Knope bknope at me.com
Mon May 16 10:10:38 CDT 2016

I did not know of this behavior, but it looks like if the superclasses designated initializer is just a plain init() then it will automatically call super.init() from your subclass.

There is no way to avoid not calling your superclasses’s designated initializer and I guess the compiler ensures this by implicitly placing a call to super?

For example, if you change your Foo init to init(test:Int) { } then your subclass will complain that it’s not calling super’s designated initializer.

I have no idea why super can be implicitly called and I see no reference to this in the language guide.

I am not sure I like this behavior. It should either be documented (maybe I am missing it?) or requiring calling super explicitly.

Brandon